I want to focus more on the folds. So this is my first attempt at a mandala.
I figured it would be awful cause I couldn’t get the tying right and I didn’t plan any of the colors. It soaked for a couple days cause I didn’t feel like untying a muddy mess. And it looks a lot better than I expected.
I definitely want to practice this more. Play around with more shapes and maybe plan the colors better.
But I’ve discovered, I think, that if the folds are precise you can really get some nice results.
And after washout my stitched shibori:
It’s not exactly what I was hoping for because I wasn’t able to get my stitches pulled tight enough. But it is still interesting and can be used for something…
I have great admiration for traditional shibori. The skill and precision that goes into each piece is inspiring. That said, I am not sure I have it. Maybe it’s my lack of patience or my short attention span but so far my attempts have been paltry. For the most part I am able to make it work (go Tim Gunn) into something that works for me.
But I will continue to practice and play. Why not when it’s so fun to play with dye and see what sticks around?
Tonight I’m trying my hand at ori nui, or stitch resist shibori. I used cotton thread because I read somewhere that cotton can tighten when wet and may act as a better resist. Simple straight running stitches across the length of a fat quarter. I had some difficulty pulling and keeping the thread tight as it is knotted. It’s something that probably comes easier with practice.
Tonight it goes into the dye and tomorrow—the big reveal.
If at first you don’t succeed, dye dye again. It is time for me to fix some of my least favorite dyed pieces by overdyeing.
It’s been so so much work hand dyeing a color wheel for a personal project. I need twelve steps on the wheel, along with a lighter value and a shaded/greyed tone for each hue. It’s slowly coming together. This is what I’ve accomplished so far:
The yellow is the trickiest because the other dyes just want to take over. I definitely need to redo the grey-yellow one because it’s just too red. But I am pretty happy with what I’ve done.
Slowly I am getting back to dyeing. Little by little. It has been extremely busy and the next quilt show is so close. I am so ready to have a break. My creativity just comes more easily when I do not have that pressure looming overhead. So until then I have little to share. One piece I have dyed:
I like this because it’s such a nice color. I find looking into dyed patches similar to spotting shapes in clouds. I see a beetle in the teal above.
So hopefully soon I’ll have something more substantial to post. Until then I dye!
The other day I attempted to dye some very light value neutrals using only pure procion mx dyes. I think I did fairly well. Mostly solid and super light. It was hard to even capture the subtle color on camera. I tried to use a white piece of fabric for reference.